POET PROFILE: GITANJALI KOLANAD

Biography:

Gitanjali Kolanad was involved in the practice, performance, and teaching of bharata natyam for close to forty years. Her renowned gurus included Kalanidhi Narayan, Guru Nana Kasar, Vempati Chinnasatyam for Kuchipudi, Usha Nangiar for Koodiattam, and P. A. Binoy and Vikas Gurukkal for kalaripayat, which she continues to practice and study.

She performed in major cities in Europe, America and India, including London, New York, Paris, Vienna, Berlin, Toronto, Tokyo, New Delhi, Bombay, and Madras. Critics praised her performances of the classical repertoire, while her contemporary choreographic work won new audiences for bharata natyam.

Her work was often multi-disciplinary, arising out of collaborations with artists from other disciplines: director Phillip Zarrilli, video/installation artists Ray Langenbach and Riaz Mehmood, violinist Parmela Attariwala, to name a few. Her performances incorporated folk and ritual forms of dance, theatre and martial art forms from South India, in eight major full-length dance works, performed all over the world. She stopped performing in 2007.

Gitanjali's short story "The American Girl" won second prize in the 2008 CBC Literary Awards. The story is part of a collection published in 2011 by Penguin India and long-listed for the Frank O’Connor Short Story Award that year. She has written numerous articles on aspects of Indian dance for well- known Indian publications. For two years, she contributed a column on arts and culture to the newspaper The New Indian Express. Her novel ‘Girl Made of Gold’ launched on August 1 2020 and has made it to the Longlist at the TATA Literature Live! Book of the Year Award!

She co-founded IMPACT - Indian Martial and Performance Arts Collective of Toronto, which teaches the Indian martial art form of kalaripayat to at-risk youth in underserved neighbourhoods. From 2013 to 2017, she was Professor in the Department of Art, Design and Performing Arts, at Shiv Nadar University, Greater Noida, India, teaching and developing a fully-fledged performing arts program.


Gitanjali Kolanad

Poems:


Night by Liz Ramos-Prado

What’s left

 

Remember that fairy tale, where a girl

must knit coats from stinging nettles for her

seven brothers who’ve been turned into birds?

And all that time she mustn’t say a word

The old queen thinks she’s a witch, and demands

of the prince (who secretly loves her) that

she be burned at the stake. Though her hands

bleed, she’s knitting, knitting even in the cart

piled high with wood. Just as they light the fire

the birds fly by. She flings seven coats high

in the air. Young men tumble from the sky

except for the youngest brother, who glides

one-winged, feathered, from the incompleted sleeve  

 

The girl, now her work is done, freely speaks

Normal, like her brothers. Only one

remains rich, strange, between this world and dreams

So yes, obstacles must be overcome

without a word. But sometimes magic seems  

to be in the small thing that’s left undone



Twins by Liz Ramos-Prado


A Flowering Tree

 

A girl becomes a tree, she herself

leaves underneath the skin, unfurls

branches reaching for air and light

tipped with fragrant buds like eyes

releasing glances. This is her gift

 

But when, branches broken, flowers ripped

away, she’s left a body without limbs

no one cares. Only her twin, sings hymns

pours healing water from sacred pot

till once again she’s tree from root 

to heart to throat to thousand-petalled head

and all the thousand petals spread



Dukkha

 

1.

The first time I encountered sorrow
I stood on one side of a locked door
and listened to my mother's sobbing

Till then I'd taken only my own
pain seriously, some dress for
Barbie or some sweet I couldn't have


Now, like that woman sent for mustard
seeds by Buddha, I felt the shell of self 
crack open, to let that truth seep in
that others suffered too


2.

My mother made her meals from bitter greens
weeds dug from the garden in the spring
dandelion and burdock root, like women

once called witches, she treated like with like
So she'd lost all bitterness by the time
I knew her best, when, no more a child

I became the cause of her anxiety
I know why, she said, the Buddha left
his kid behind. But you're not to blame
Attachment causes pain


3.

My mother took the gold chain she always wore
and put it around my neck, didn't pull me back
when I rushed headlong into a world

unknown with no one in it I could trust
I would have sold my soul more than once
had anyone offered to buy it

Those cold days, those lonely nights! My mother
prayed May you be safe from harm,
You and all beings, calm as the Buddha
or so she tried to be



4.

My mother wrote me letters no matter
where I went. I wrote to her too, when troubled
when her chain was snatched from round my neck

my letter said, the gold you gave me is gone
She replied, oh my darling, let it go
Who cares? Things of value can’t be stolen

The moon reflected in a cup is not
lost when the water spills the Buddha said
I’m older now than she was when she died
She still gives light




Sweeping

 

The broom should move across the floor. First, stroke
the wood, the sound a breath. Release, return
Inanimate made animate, rhythm learned
and practiced. As the body does its work
that now redundant 'I' disperses, fine
as dust. What's been lost? The capacity
to name. It's not required. The eyes still see
but nothing is like something else. Sun shines.

And when the tangled knot of consciousness
reconstitutes an 'I', dust motes rise like
fireflies before they settle in the pan. Once more
the room is clean, but thinking makes a mess
I can't discard, until that sleep untwines
my self, most convoluted metaphor



Ghazal


The river of time flows into light and shadow
float or drown, nothing to grasp but light and shadow

A needle passing through the cloth leaves thread behind
so time embroiders us in light and shadow

Within the frame in colours bright some moment caught
in memory fades into half light and shadow

On a bed, their limbs entwined, lovers forget
that time ever turns the moon from light to shadow

A game of hide and seek, a stolen kiss, a song
The candle flickers, can’t delay twilight into shadow


Gitanjali Kolanad is paired with Liz Ramos-Prado, visit Liz Ramos-Prado.


Poet Statement:

The images by Liz Ramos-Prado brought back memories of fairy tales, especially ones I loved as a child. So I went with that, looking back and rereading the story about the girl and her brothers turned into birds, and the one from India, about a girl who could turn herself into a flowering tree. In whatever writing I do, I need to learn something, about myself or about whatever it is I’m writing about. In these first two poems, I tried to figure out why those particular stories had so fascinated me, and perhaps what secrets they might have held, and which I now have the tools to unravel.

In April, I took part in Daily Riyaaz, an initiative by Anannya Dasgupta, where participants write, or at least try to write, a poem a day. As this year it came during the early days of lockdown, it was a life-saver. Writing a poem became a way to pay attention to small moments, the ordinary things I was doing every day, the gift of time in solitude with nothing ‘important’ to distract me. I had the time to take out the many letters from my mother, which I’ve kept but hardly ever reread.  This is where the poem about my mother came from.

I don’t like housework, but it has to be done. In lockdown I (almost) looked forward to it, as a change from doing nothing. Poems come from anywhere, so why not a poem about sweeping?

I like playing within forms and structures like the sonnet, so I included this ghazal. The imagery seemed to go so well with the fine lines of the drawings of Ramos-Prado, and with the theme of ‘Ignite’. And it seems appropriate under these circumstances, that I often think of death.

 

You can reach Gitanjali at:

Website: Gitanjali Kolanad

Instagram: @gitakolanad


Art & Poem
Vision & Concept by Deepa Gopal
Video by Anoushka Sunil
Intro clip and thumbnail- Vibhin P C


Introduction 
Video edit by Anoushka Sunil

Intro clip and thumbnail- Vibhin P C


CURATOR'S TIDBITS:

The first time I wrote to Gita was as a response to one of her articles about dance and young devadasis, and asking her permission to paint the photo of a young girl whose look was so intriguing and enigmatic that I had to paint her. She, of course, agreed and we have been friends since then. An awesome co-incidence is that Gita has made it to the Longlist of TATA Literature Live! Book of the Year Award! for her work ‘Girl Made of Gold’ and that is about devadasis too. She was also part of my Collateral community video project that I was part of in 2016 Kochi Muziris Biennale, under Kashi Art Gallery. She had even come down to see the Biennale with her fractured palm. Later in 2018 again during the Biennale, she had visited with her friends to one of the group shows I was part of. Every time we met, it was wonderful. Like German, Liz was also part of “It's all Square” that happened in Dubai hosted by thejamjar gallery and organized by The Domino. Most of her works done during those phase stuck with me particularly the ones she had done on boards. Current ones are all on moleskine. I have met Liz scarcely; however, her works brimming with internal dialogues and sentiments are a delight. 


PLEASE SPARE US YOUR FEW MOMENTS AND FILL-UP OUR FEEDBACK FORM



Comments