ARTIST PROFILE: ANINDITA CHAKRABORTY

Biography:

Anindita Chakraborty was born and brought up in Tripura, Northeast India. After she finished her bachelor's degree from Govt. College of Art and Craft in Tripura, she moved to Hyderabad in 2007 to pursue her Masters in Fine Arts from the University of Hyderabad. Since then she started living and continuing her practice in Hyderabad. Her work is mainly encompassed with self-portraiture, where she is constructing and questioning identity in a positive manner. Her studio research is also influenced by a particular genre from western art history and textile history of India and Bangladesh.

 

Earlier this year she attended Niracharthu camp followed by an exhibition at Lalit Kala Academy. Kerala, India. She has received the South Zone Silver medal award in the category of painting, Kalanand Art Contest, 2017 and Young Talented Artists Award, 2008-2009 for outstanding achievement in the field of Painting, North-East zone cultural centre, Ministry of Culture, Government of India. Apart from that, she has also received Junior Fellowship, in the field of Visual Art, Sub-Field Painting by the Ministry of Culture, Govt. of India 2016-2017. She teaches in JNAFAU, Hyderabad, India as a visiting faculty.

 

Anindita was invited by Kashi Art Residency, Kerala, 2010, Space118 studio, Mumbai, 2013 and Kalakriti artist in the residency program, Hyderabad in 2016. She has exhibited with Galerie88-Kolkata, Anant Art Gallery-Delhi, Art Gallery in Kaunas, Lithuania, Exhibition at Korean Cultural Centre-Delhi, Kalakriti Art Gallery-Hyderabad, Goethe-Zentrum, German Cultural Centre-Hyderabad, Galerie Mirchandani + Steinruecke-Mumbai, Contemplate Gallery-Coimbatore, SKE gallery-Bangalore, India.


She lives and works in Hyderabad.



Anindita Chakraborty


Works of Anindita Chakraborty:



The Lucent III, watercolour on paper, 14x30,2020


Anindita Chakraborty was paired with Radha Gomaty and to read the poem "A Beautiful Lie" that was inspired by "The Lucent III", visit Radha Gomaty.



Untitled, organic colour on paper, 21.5x30inch, 2020



Untitled, organic pigment on paper treated with tea wash, 8”x6”, 2020



Untitled, organic pigment on paper treated with tea wash, 8”x6”, 2020



Untitled, organic pigment on paper treated with tea wash, 8”x6”, 2020


Artist Statement:

I think that ‘the Self’ doesn’t have an autonomous existence because it is always overshadowed by the other, or we may see the reflection of ourselves on others also. I believe most of all our understanding about us can be a projection of our own psyche.

My work is autobiographical and encompassed with self-portraiture. This series of work is rising from very personal and delicate but yet expressive experiences of my life. It is an identity politics and we all have our own way of constructing our identity as an individual. My art practice shows the constant investigation of self, introspection, or questioning self in a positive approach. These visuals are the true feelings of my current state of mind. Here the rich achromatic tint helps to get a sense of melancholy. It is human psychology that we always compare or make an example of human nature with different creatures of this planet. And that also makes us keep connected with each other. My works are the anecdotes of my personal life. The way I look at things or perceive and the way I treat colours that defines me who I am. Self-investigation is a lifelong process and it goes on and on.

Throughout my process, I have realised that working on a small scale is not only tough but it also allows minimizing oneself physically and psychologically. When I work on a large size canvas by using oil colours I think about the entire frame and work with lots of elements. Each element talk with diverse expressions along with very specific gestures in connection with the concept of the artwork. Medium, concept, skill and execution works parallel when I execute the work of art. I always chose the medium according to my concept to create the visual language.

You can reach Anindita Chakraborty at:

Instagram: @aninditachakraborty23

Blog: Anindita Chakraborty




Art & Poem

Vision & Concept by Deepa Gopal
Video by Anoushka Sunil
Intro clip and thumbnail- Vibhin P C





Introduction video
Video edit by Anoushka Sunil

Intro clip and thumbnail- Vibhin P C





CURATOR'S TIDBITS:


Anindita Chakraborty and Radha Gomaty are intense souls. I have scarcely met them in person except perhaps twice, briefly but their works have left an indelible after thought on me. Their works deal with the self, layered with what is happening around them. I met Anindita during 2016 Kochi Muziris Biennale, silent and observant, she has a charming aura about her and it certainly reflects in her works particularly her self-portraits. Her works were entirely different to what it is now. She has moved on to a different practice from where I first saw her, she’s ever evolving. I have been following Radha Gomaty’s works for quite some time too. I am enchanted by her paintings, performances and her poetry and the person she is. They take you to a different dome of experience. I keep going back to her “The Drift” floating on the Ganges with the lapping water as the background, it was/is intensely surreal! For Ignite, I requested her to be one of the poets as I wanted my audience to feel the ebb and flow of her words, she is also a renowned artist. Both their works are autobiographical and do overlap quite well and it’s interesting to see how it gels.



Comments

  1. As mentioned by the curator, the intensity in Anindita's work is unmistakable. Although autobiographical I like how fluid it is. Her work lingers on for a long time. So strong is the visual effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such powerful paintings that I can't help but keep re-visiting and each time a new nuance of meaning unfurls.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment